The City of Opp is named after Henry Opp, a lawyer of German descent who worked for the L & N Railroad. Opp lived and practiced law in Andalusia, Alabama in the late 1800's and early 1900's and also served as Mayor of Andalusia from 1899 to 1906. In 1901, the Central of Georgia Railroad tried to prevent the L & N Railroad from surveying a right-of-way into Covington County; however, Mr. Opp successfully defended the L & N's case in court, thereby enabling the railroad to complete the survey and ultimately establish the railroad line which now passes through the city of Opp.
The railroad forked, with one arm traveling south and the other continuing east. Because this provided a good "turning around" place for trains, and because it was already inhabited to a small degree, a little town was laid out on the site with the encouragement of the railroad. In appreciation to Mr. Henry Opp for being directly responsible for the railroad's existence through the area, the L & N encouraged the people to name the town after Mr. Opp.