Bertrand Labardens came to the area from France in 1851 and homesteaded 165 acres. He opened a post office and grocery store on the corner of Menge Ave. and Red Creek Road. In 1893, his son-in-law, U. A. Cuevas, took over the store. When Cuevas applied to the government to become an official post office, he could not use the name Pineville because there was another town by that name in Northern Mississippi, so he chose the name Cuevas, which is why that name is sometimes interchangeable with Pineville.